Saturday 18 July 2015

The site that allows you to laugh at The Guardian without having to read the damned thing!

I often wonder how the world appears to our cat – obviously, his view of it is entirely different to mine, or he wouldn’t regularly demand to be let out of the velux window in my study late at night for a stroll along the rooftops, and he wouldn’t have developed a disconcerting habit of staring fixedly, ears swivelling, at empty doorways. I wonder the same thing when I see people reading The Guardian: why does what they read there make sense to them, when it invariably strikes me as either meaningless or morally deranged or both? What pleasing patterns do they discern in the thoughts expressed in the Comments section that are entirely hidden from me?

I used to have a section on this blog where I cut and pasted extracts from seemingly mad or wicked left-wing articles. After a while, I realised how depressed reading all that guff left me, so I confined myself to headlines. But then I’d find myself actually reading the body of the ghastly article anyway, so I simply discontinued the feature – a shame, because the titles of Guardian articles so effectively conjure up the writer’s weird, mad, perverted, unreal world-view. Luckily, a website/Twitter feed has appeared which solves the problem by featuring nothing but headlines taken directly from The Guardian website, so you can enjoy the silliness without ever reading any of the twaddle below. It’s called So.Much.Guardian, and it can be found here.

Here, just to give you a taste, are some of more of the recent headlines it has featured:














I'll end with a headline that basically sums up The Guardian's whole philosophy:


4 comments:

  1. Gaby Hinsliff sounds as if she has a real hankering for thought crime and prison camps, doesn't she?

    Scratch a Leftist and so often you will find the true spirit of the Third Reich.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But they're incredibly tolerant...if you agree with them - or if you're a freak, a weirdo, a pervert or a parasite, of course. I've known lots of leftists, and many of them are splendidly reasonable people, perfectly able to accept that not everyone who disagrees with them is inherently evil. But the Guardian Comment section seems to be entirely populated by the other kind.

      Delete
  2. If I didn't glance occasionally at The Guardian: in the library to get a balanced view of the world, or in the homes of my more liberal chums, I would not believe the headlines above to be anything but competition entries in The Spectator.
    Actually, one of my most arty, theatre-loving, well-educated, well-read, labour-voting liberal chums takes The Guardian through the letter box and picks up Saturday's Telegraph for free when doing her weekend Waitrose shopping. A rather pleasing balance I feel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know a very left-wing young lady whose parents are even more left-wing, who told me that her mother's secret vice was an addiction to the Daily Mail! I found that fascinating. I can't imagine any right-wing woman being secretly addicted to the Guardian. Maybe it's because the Mail has lots of girlie stuff in it.

      I'm afraid my tolerance of left-wing publications was exhausted after spending two decades at the BBC. I'm not sure I could bring myself to actually hold a copy of the Guardian in my hands, let alone read it! (Mind you, I feel much the same about New Media Age after having to read that every week for years on end.) So I commend your friend's broad-mindedness.

      Delete